Tuesday, June 23, 2009

Ship Life

Where to start… right now I’m in my cabin, resenting myself for waiting seven days to make the first entry since I boarded the ship and began the voyage across the Atlantic. Departing from Halifax seems like a lifetime ago, and what I remember since then seems like a whirlwind of new faces, names, and events.

Living on the sea is, to say the least, a drastic change from my usual life: my bed rocks up and down while I sleep, the clock moves forward an hour each night, and the whole day takes place no farther than 5 minutes from my room. The transition though really reminds me of freshman year – being suddenly thrown into new surroundings with nothing familiar around you, and basically starting over: new friends, new routines, a new way of life. It’s a lot of fun once you get over the initial awkward phase of not knowing anyone. The people I’ve met here are probably the best part of this trip so far. I wasn’t sure what kinds of people would show up to a trip like this – most people I’ve known have spent their whole lives in one country, and traveling to 8 countries in one summer at the age of 21, in my opinion, takes some balls and an adventurous spirit. I was half-expecting this to be a huge party-boat, but I was surprised and pleased to quickly find out that I was absolutely wrong. The students here are generally intelligent, hard-working, open-minded, and well-traveled. When I tell people I’m from Hawaii almost everyone tells me about their experience there – most of the people I’ve met since high school can’t even pronounce Kihei (my hometown), but in the past 24 hours I’ve met two people who have actually been there. Already I’ve hung out with a student from Saudi Arabia, had breakfast with a kid from Pakistan, and sat next to a girl from South Africa in class. And best of all, every single student here shares my excitement for traveling abroad.

The professors here are equally amazing. I didn’t really think about this before but I can’t even imagine the level of competition there is for a position teaching on a cruise ship that travels across the Mediterranean in the summertime. And naturally, every professor I have is absolutely brilliant, engaging, and fascinating. One is a Cornell grad with a PhD from U of Chicago, another a business professor at UVA, and the other is a quirky clinical psychologist who’s worked and lived in London, South Korea, Japan, Guam, and an endless list of states in the US. The Global Studies professor in particular is one of the most interesting lecturers I’ve ever listened to – he’s probably the first person to ever get me excited about history, and already I’ve sensed a profound shift in my understanding of the globe and the places in which I’ve lived or traveled to.

Most of the day is taken up with class and readings, but I’ve been able to find time here and there to exercise on the deck while watching the ocean pass by, have meals with friends or at least friendly-looking strangers, and lay in the sun while listening to music. At night the ship gets lively at Pub Night up on the top deck, even though we’re only given three drinks per night. We’ve been getting around this by storing drinks in containers and saving up for small parties in the cabins.

Tomorrow: Spain. There was a presentation last night on Spanish food and I’m ecstatic thinking about all the stuff I want to try. I’ll be spending the day in Cadiz, then the next day my plan is to take a train up to Seville, and then on to Cordoba. No real plans about what to do but I’m hoping to watch a bull fight and definitely walk around the city hopping around through Tapas bars. I’ll try to find an internet café along the way and try to upload some pictures if I have the time.

1 comment:

  1. yeah to balls and adventurous spirit!! I'm glad to hear you're having fun so far!

    ReplyDelete